Serving Chattanooga, Tennessee
As we age, our skin loses elasticity and firmness resulting in the formation of wrinkles and sagging skin.
A facelift, also known as rhytidectomy, is a surgical procedure designed to tighten the sagging skin, remove excess fat and tighten underlying muscles in the lower two-thirds of the face and neck, providing a more youthful, fresher appearance.
A facelift cannot stop your face from aging, but it can improve your appearance by "setting the clock back." Factors such as bone structure, heredity, skin texture, sun exposure, smoking history and others all play a role in the extent of improvement one obtains, as well as influencing how long it will last.
Am I a candidate for facelift?
You may be a candidate for a facelift if you are in overall good health and have enough excess skin or sagging in the face and neck to make the operation beneficial. The average facelift patients are in their 40s to 60s, but a facelift can be successfully done on people in their 70s and 80s as well.
One of our Chattanooga plastic surgeons can tell you with certainty if you are a candidate for a facelift; however, it might be a good choice if you:
- Don’t smoke.
- Have sagging in your mid-face.
- Are healthy and psychologically stable.
- Have deep creases around your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Have lost muscle tone around your lower face and neck (creating jowls).
- Have realistic expectations about the outcome of your procedure.
To determine if you are an appropriate candidate for a facelift procedure, please visit our Chattanooga cosmetic surgeons for an initial consultation.
Your facelift surgery
The traditional facelift surgery can achieve the most dramatic results. Incisions begin above the hairline at the temple and extend in a natural line just inside the cartilage of the front of the ear and continue behind the earlobe to the lower scalp inside the hairline. If work is being done in the neck area, a small incision will be made under the chin also. After your surgeon makes these incisions, the skin will be lifted off of the underlying tissue and internal sutures will be applied to tighten the muscles. The excess skin is removed and the incisions are sealed.
Some procedures you might consider combining a facelift with:
- Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Surgery) – if you have "bags" both above and below your eyes, leaving you with droopy, tired looking eyes, you might choose to combine your facelift with eyelid surgery.
- Botox Cosmetic – frown lines and upper brow wrinkles can be eliminated with Botox, while the wrinkles on your lower face can be corrected with a facelift.
- Brow lift – if your brow line has become droopy and wrinkled giving you a tired or angry look, a brow lift can help enhance your upper face, while a facelift can correct the lower face.
- Restylane – if you have wrinkles around the mouth including the lips, smoker’s lines, nasolabial folds and marionette lines, you make want to consider a cosmetic dermal filler (Restylane) to improve facial contours and smooth wrinkles.
If you would like to learn more about facelift surgery, please read our Questions about Facelift Surgery page.
To read articles that our surgeons have written about facelift surgery, please visit our Articles- Facial Procedures page.
For more information about face lifts in Tennessee, please contact our Chattanooga cosmetic surgeons.