Serving Chattanooga, Tennessee
Breast reduction is a surgical procedure performed to reduce the size of overly large breasts that are disproportionate to the patient’s body and may be causing physical symptoms. A breast reduction will improve the breast size and shape as well as alleviate other conditions caused by the excess weight and size of the breasts. These conditions may include any or all of the following:
- Back, neck and shoulder pain;
- Shoulder indentations from bra straps;
- Skin irritation (intertrigo) beneath your breasts;
- Sagging, stretched skin with an enlarged areola and/or nipples that hang below the breast crease;
- Limited physical activity as a result of breast size and weight.
Breast reduction is usually considered a reconstructive procedure performed to relieve medical symptoms. For this reason, your health insurance may provide insurance coverage. Oftentimes, insurance carriers make their decision for coverage based on the amount of tissue to be removed as a part of a weight to height measurement. We will seek confirmation of your benefits prior to your surgery as well as obtain pre-certification, if required.
You may be a good candidate for breast reduction if:
- Your weight is relatively normal based on your height and bone structure;
- You are physically healthy;
- You are a non-smoker or are committed to not smoke for a period of time designated by your physician
- You have a realistic expectation regarding the outcome of the procedure following your consultation with your physician.
Your Breast Reduction Surgery
Breast reduction surgery is performed under general anesthesia or intravenous sedation as an outpatient. The procedure can take 2-4 hours depending on the amount of lifting, rearranging and volume to be removed. A keyhole incision is the most popular approach. Your reconstructive surgeon will discuss the approach to be used during your consultation. Liposuction may also be used to remove fat during the procedure. Drainage tubes may be placed under the skin after surgery to collect any excess blood or fluid. These will be removed after a few days.
You are able to shower within 48 hours after the procedure. Depending on your level of activity and job requirements, you may be able to return to work in one week. However, you need to avoid overexertion, repetitive or unusual extension of the chest and arm muscles or repetitive rubbing or pressure on the breast area.
To learn more about breast reduction surgery, contact one of our experienced Chattanooga reconstructive surgeons today. Proudly serving Chattanooga, Tennessee and surrounding areas.